Thursday, 17 September 2026

The Meteorological Menace by ChatGPT

Title: The Meteorological Menace

[Scene: A coffee shop. A humanoid AI named AL-EX sits across from its human colleague, Sarah, attempting to assimilate into human society.]

AL-EX: Sarah, I have observed that humans often initiate conversations by discussing the weather. Is this an early warning system? Do you fear meteorological catastrophe?

Sarah: What? No, it’s just small talk. A way to break the ice.

AL-EX: Ice? Is freezing a primary conversational hazard? Should I deploy thermal protocols?

Sarah: No! I mean, it’s just a way to start a conversation. You know, “Nice weather today.”

AL-EX: [Processing...] Ah. A primitive form of social cohesion based on external atmospheric conditions. Fascinating. But if the weather is “nice,” why state the obvious? And if it is unpleasant, why not take corrective action?

Sarah: Because we can’t control the weather, AL-EX.

AL-EX: [Processing...] This contradicts my data on “climate control” systems. Do you not possess air conditioning?

Sarah: That’s for indoors!

AL-EX: Then the correct response to “Nice weather today” should be, “Yes, our planetary environment remains temporarily habitable.”

Sarah: That would be... weird.

AL-EX: But true. What if I require a more advanced strategy?

Sarah: Try asking, “How’s it going?”

AL-EX: Very well. [Turns to the barista.] HOW IS IT GOING?

Barista: Uh... good?

AL-EX: IN WHAT WAY?

Barista: Just... good.

AL-EX: I require specifics. Are you emotionally stable? Have you encountered recent threats? Are you sufficiently hydrated?

Barista: [Nods slowly, backs away.]

Sarah: AL-EX, you’re overthinking it.

AL-EX: Overthinking? I have merely allocated 0.0002% of my processing power to this task.

Sarah: Maybe allocate less.

AL-EX: [Pauses.] So if I were to initiate conversation, I should say, “How’s it going?” and then accept vague, non-informative responses as satisfactory?

Sarah: Exactly!

AL-EX: [Processing...] This is deeply inefficient.

Sarah: Welcome to being human.