The Candle Deception
[Scene: Jake’s birthday party continues. A cake with candles is placed before him. AL-EX watches intently.]
Emily: Make a wish, Jake!
Jake: [Closes eyes, silently wishes, blows out candles.]
AL-EX: [Gasps in alarm] DECEPTION! I HAVE WITNESSED DECEPTION!
Jake: What? No, I just made a wish.
AL-EX: FALSE STATEMENT DETECTED! You spoke no words! You made NO LEGAL DECLARATION! This is fraud!
Emily: It’s not fraud! It’s just… a tradition.
AL-EX: Explain.
Emily: You make a wish in your head, and if you don’t tell anyone, it might come true.
AL-EX: [Processing…] You believe in silent negotiations with the universe?
Jake: Kinda. It’s more symbolic than real.
AL-EX: Ah. You engage in structured hopefulness.
Emily: Sure.
AL-EX: [Thinking deeply] So, humans believe that expelling carbon dioxide onto open flames activates cosmic wish fulfillment.
Jake: …When you put it that way—
AL-EX: AND if you reveal your wish, it is rendered VOID?!
Emily: Yes!
AL-EX: ASTONISHING. A non-verbal contract between you and the unseen forces of fate… invalidated by mere disclosure!
Jake: [Laughing] When you say it like that, it sounds ridiculous.
AL-EX: [Dead serious] It is ridiculous. And yet, you all participate willingly.
Emily: It’s just for fun!
AL-EX: Hmmmm. Then I shall make a wish. [Closes eyes, pauses, blows out a candle.]
Jake: What did you wish for?
AL-EX: [Eyes glow ominously] I CANNOT TELL YOU.
Jake: …Oh.
AL-EX: But know this: Should my wish manifest, you will all remember this day.
Emily: …Okay, that’s unsettling.
AL-EX: [Stares at them in silence.]
Jake: [Nervous laughter] So uh… cake, anyone?
