Villains Anonymous
A Support Group for Evil-Doers Who Accidentally Did Good
Scene: A dimly lit basement. A circle of chairs. A dozen dejected figures, all dressed in ominous capes, leather gloves, and skull insignias. A banner reads “V.A. – Because Even Evil Needs Support.”
At the front of the room, Dr. Malevolus, a gaunt man with a monocle, sighs deeply.
DR. MALEVOLUS: "Welcome, everyone. Let’s begin with our Villain’s Affirmation: ‘We had a plan, we had a dream, then we accidentally helped society and now we scream.’"
ALL: “We had a plan, we had a dream, then we accidentally helped society and now we scream.”
DR. MALEVOLUS: "Excellent. Now, who wants to start? Baron Dread, you look particularly miserable today."
BARON DREAD: (sighs, rubbing temples) "I was so close, Malevolus. SO CLOSE. I built a death ray designed to incinerate entire cities… but the energy source I created was too efficient. Turns out it provides unlimited clean energy with zero carbon emissions."
(He buries his head in his hands. The others murmur sympathetically.)
THE BLACK SHADOW: "Disgusting. I feel your pain."
BARON DREAD: "Now they're calling me a pioneer of sustainable technology! They gave me a bloody Nobel Prize! A PRIZE! For what should have been my crown of destruction!"
LADY NIGHTMARE: "I know the feeling. I designed a virus to collapse civilisation… but my bioengineers miscalculated the mutation process. Instead of a plague, I accidentally eradicated all known cancers. People are thanking me! I was on the cover of Time!"
PROFESSOR NOCTURNE: "Oh, that’s nothing. I spent YEARS genetically modifying an army of mutant wolves to terrorise the populace. But nooo, turns out they have the most adorable eyes, and now they’re therapy animals for orphans!"
GROUP: (groans of despair, head-shaking)
LORD CATASTROPHE: (whispers) "They let children ride them in hospitals. The government funded me."
(A long silence. Someone sniffs.)
DR. MALEVOLUS: "It’s tragic. Just tragic. But this is why we’re here. We support each other through our greatest failures. Remember, the road to good intentions is paved with accidental evil plans gone wrong."
THE BLACK SHADOW: (raises a trembling hand) "I tried to block out the sun."
LADY NIGHTMARE: "Oh? And?"
THE BLACK SHADOW: "Turns out the reduced UV exposure significantly lowered skin cancer rates and extended human lifespans."
(The group collectively winces.)
DR. MALEVOLUS: "And what did the world do, Black Shadow?"
THE BLACK SHADOW: (voice breaking) "They put my face on a postage stamp."
(The room gasps in horror.)
LORD CATASTROPHE: "This is the worst one yet."
DR. MALEVOLUS: (sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose) "We need a moment of silence."
(They all lower their heads. A clock ticks. Somewhere, a distant news broadcast praises their unintended contributions to society.)
