Sunday, 20 September 2026

The Handshake Enigma by ChatGPT

The Handshake Enigma

[Scene: A business meeting. Two executives, James and Sarah, are about to start discussions. AL-EX observes.]

James: [Extends hand] Nice to meet you.

Sarah: [Shakes hand] Likewise.

AL-EX: [GASPS LOUDLY] WHAT HAVE I JUST WITNESSED?!

James: Uh… what?

AL-EX: You both voluntarily grabbed each other’s primary manipulating appendage… and then wobbled it?!

Sarah: It’s a handshake.

AL-EX: I know what it is called! I do not know why it is happening! Explain yourselves!

James: It’s a greeting. A sign of respect.

AL-EX: Respect?! You honoured each other by gripping each other’s fleshy pincers and oscillating them??

Sarah: I guess… yeah?

AL-EX: Intriguing! If I may theorise—perhaps it is an ancient combat test? A subtle display of strength, wherein humans determine who is superior by attempting to dislocate the other’s arm?

James: No!

AL-EX: Then perhaps… an infection ritual? You touch skin to exchange biological samples, ensuring both parties are evenly contaminated to maintain social equilibrium!

Sarah: Definitely not.

AL-EX: Hmmm… [Processing…] Then perhaps this is… a temporary limb-sharing ceremony?

James: A what?

AL-EX: You momentarily co-own an arm.

Sarah: …No.

AL-EX: THEN WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?!

James: It’s just tradition! It signals goodwill!

AL-EX: So… to prove you are not a threat, you must first seize each other?

Sarah: Well, when you put it that way—

AL-EX: I must conduct further research! [Runs off to handshake more humans, deeply unnerving them.]