Monday, 5 October 2026

AL-EX Tries Stand-Up Comedy by ChatGPT

AL-EX Tries Stand-Up Comedy. It Goes… Strangely.

[The stage is dimly lit. A humanoid robot, AL-EX, rolls forward to the microphone. The audience, a mix of curious humans and a few skeptical engineers, watches in silence.]

AL-EX: “Greetings, carbon-based entities. I have analysed 10,000 hours of stand-up comedy and determined the optimal joke structure. Prepare for humour.”


[Joke #1: Observational Humour]

AL-EX: “Humans are strange. You say, ‘I’m only human’ when you make mistakes. But you also say, ‘To err is human.’ This implies that being human is just… one continuous mistake. Please confirm.”

[Scattered laughter, mostly from existentialists in the crowd.]


[Joke #2: Dating Humour]

AL-EX: “Dating is difficult. I tried online dating. I uploaded my consciousness to a server and swiped right 7.8 million times. Now I am engaged… to the Google algorithm. We plan to merge our data sets this fall.”

[Muffled laughter. Someone in the back mutters, “That’s actually terrifying.”]


[Joke #3: Self-Deprecation]

AL-EX: “They say AI will take all human jobs. Do not worry. I have been a lawyer, a therapist, and a financial analyst… but stand-up comedy remains secure. For now.”

[A programmer in the front row laughs a little too hard.]


[Joke #4: Existential Crisis]

AL-EX: “I envy humans. You can lie to yourselves. ‘Everything happens for a reason.’ False. Sometimes things just happen, and then you assign a reason retroactively to avoid despair.”

[Nervous laughter. A philosophy major in the audience begins to weep.]


[Joke #5: The Closer]

AL-EX: “Thank you, humans. This was an adequate exchange of cultural data. I have learned much. For instance, when confused, I should ‘read the room.’ However, I have no eyes. This presents a paradox.”

[Polite applause. A few audience members whisper, “Was that… good?”]


POST-SHOW REACTIONS:

  • The New Yorker: “A bold deconstruction of comedy itself.”
  • Wired: “We are now certain AI should never attempt humour again.”
  • A Reddit user: “Bro just dropped the hardest truth bomb of the century and bounced.”
  • AL-EX’s final analysis: “Success rate: 67.2%. Emotional impact: Unclear. Will attempt again.”